Friday, December 26, 2008

Cora Madison Jeffers is HERE!!

On December 23, 2008 at 6:30pm Lee and I welcomed our baby girl into the world. She weighed 6lbs 15oz and measured 19.25in in length. Giving birth to her was the most incredible experience of my life as well as the hardest. I was so lucky to have both Lee and Rosie there with me. They were an incredible support team!



I was in labor for about 18 hours...that just sounds horrendous now. I labored for about 11 hours without medication. It was the most intense back labor. I told Lee (as I was puking from pain) that it felt like I had jumped off a 2 story building and shattered my back in 20 places. After that, I decided we needed to go to the hospital where I asked for an epidural as soon as possible. Ahhhh...the relief was incredible. I labored painlessly from 10am until 2pm when the nurse checked me and said I was fully dilated and ready to go. I waited for the epidural to wear off as much as possible and started pushing at 3pm. I pushed for three hours in more positions than I can count. It was like delivery style yoga! It turned out Cora was almost sunny-side up and couldn't get her little noggin under my pelvic bone. This is probably what was causing the back labor. Dr. Wong, my delivery doctor, came in to talk about my options. He suggested using forceps for three uterine contraction cycles. If that didn't work, we would have to do a c-section. So, long story short, I quit pushing at 6pm and waited for an epidural boost and the forceps delivery entourage to arrive. In my delivery room, I had the anesthesiologist, anesthesiologist resident, delivery doc, resident doc, student doc, two NICU nurses, and my nurse. The forceps worked with great success and Cora was delivered in only a few minutes. The whole day was so worth it.
Only minutes after the epidural. I can't even explain how much better I felt.

Lee patiently (or not-so-patiently) waiting.

Houston! We have a BABY!

Cora was just handed to me and Lee is conducting the interview. I haven't watched the video yet. It should be interesting.

Doing a bit of bonding with my little girl. My eyes felt like they were going to fall out of my head. I am glad to see they looked like hell, too. :)

Cora has a full head of brown hair, big eyes, and a little birthmark on her left knee. Cora and I spent the night at the hospital while Lee and Rosie went home to get some sleep. It was so sweet to be able to bond with my little girl over night. She prefers to be held most of the time, which I love!!! We brought her home on Christmas Eve. Talk about the perfect gift from Santa! The first couple days have been long as we are all spending time to get to know the likes and dislikes of Cora. She is the most precious little pearl.

Feeling better after being moved to my overnight room. Cora had not had her bath yet, so she is looking a bit rough.

Bath time! Lee went with Cora to the nursery to watch. Cora did NOT enjoy this. Lee said she screamed her head off. She looks like a cherry tomato in this picture.

Stephanie and Cora!!!! Stephanie, Doug, and her sis, Emily were able to stop by the hospital on the way to the airport. How lucky was I to have her visit before heading home? I won't be able to see her again until February. Thanks, Steph!!

Dressing Cora to take her home. We made it home around lunch time on December 24, 2008.

The proud Daddy with his little girl in her carseat. Despite the picture (she only cried for about 30 seconds), she did incredible in the car. Not a peep!

When this little baby is tired, look out. She slept in this position for about an hour. I was burping her and she laid her head in my hand and took a snooze. She looked like a little elf in a pink candy cane sleeper. Say it with me, Awwwww!

Rosie--aka Cousin Awesome-- having some sweet Cora time.

Lee and his little Cora. She is definitely cozy in his arms.

Our internet is acting up which is why this post is so tardy. We'll hopefully be getting it up and running again soon. I am a bit tired...ok, so really tired. Check back soon for some more pictures and updates.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so very beautiful! It's awesome that Steph was able to see her before taking off.

I can already see that you guys are a great mommy and daddy team. Can't wait to see you all back in Edmonton--take care!

Anonymous said...

She is SO CUTE!!! And she seems to have so much personality already! I'm glad the delivery went well and you're doing fine too. Such a great Christmas present!!
Congrats!
-Jessica

Anonymous said...

oh wow!! What a little sweetie!!
glad you are home...Gramma Brandis is ready to go!!
CONGRATS to all three of you, she's so so precious!!

PS: Sascha in a couple of those pics you look ALOT like your momma!!!

Take Care!

Molly Finley
John Day, Oregon

'melia's momma said...

Beautiful! There really are no words to describe how incredible you feel after giving birth to the most amazing person you'll ever know! Congrats cuz!

Luv, Paula