Monday, November 1, 2010

Camping in the South

After our camping trip in the north this summer, we packed our car and headed south to Crowsnest Pass for another camping extravaganza. We found a nice, tiny campground right on the Old Man River. It also happened to be a half way point to meet our favorite Montanians, Chris and Vicki.

Cora was quite excited when we started pulling the camping gear out.

Doing what she does best in the car...sleeping.

We had no cell phone service at this campground. Lee had to drive about an hour to get some service so he could let Chris and Vicki know where we were. Meanwhile, Cora and I pigged out on salsa and burritos.

Really, Mom? Another picture?

Is there anything better than burritos when camping? Yes. Leftover burrito makings for breakfast burritos in the morning. Scrumptious! 

Cora loved to drive the car. 

She also got her own chair for this trip.

Naptime in the hammock. Now that's what vacation is all about.

Lee catching a fish just below our campsite. It was less about 50 feet down the hill to the fishing hole.

Cora and I throwing rocks into Lee's fishing hole. Hey, we all need to have fun, right?

Chris and Vicki finally made it!

Lee and I really thought our curse of camping in the rain had been broken after our camping trip to Rock Lake. Turns out we were wrong. Very, very wrong.

The rain started. We decided to open a bottle of wine and wait it out.

Chris and Vicki thought that was a great idea.

But, it rained and rained and rained.

And, then, it rained some more. It didn't let up. In fact, it kept raining harder and harder. We finally decided to try and get a fire started for dinner. Surprisingly, Lee and Chris got one started. We had a delicious dinner of chili out of the dutch oven. The rain never stopped that night. But the next morning was beautiful.

In fact, it was absolutely gorgeous that day. Lee caught lots of fish.

So did Vicki. Chris, on the other hand, didn't have such luck. :(

I have no words for this hilarious photo.

Cora and Reggie talking to the squirrels.

It was so nice, we decided to take a dip in the river. The river was freezing! We didn't make it in very far.

Vicki, Chris, Cora, Lee, and Sascha. Chris and Vicki left on Sunday. Canada had a Monday holiday, so we were staying an extra day. While it was raining the night before, we decided to take off at the same time as Chris and Vicki. We had no desire to camp another night in the rain. The beautiful weather on Sunday quickly changed our minds.

Lee went down to fish a bit more in the river. Low and behold, he caught a fish that had Chris' fly in its mouth. Too funny! Afterward, we took a nap with Cora. We left the doors of the tent open so the breeze could blow through. It was great. About an hour or two into our nap, Lee shoots out of bed saying it was going to rain. We both looked out and there were giant storm clouds just coming over the mountain. Sure enough. There was another huge storm. We took down our tent and packed our car in about 12 minutes and headed down the road. 15 minutes later, the rain started and never stopped. Whew. Thank goodness Lee has a weird sixth sense for rain.

We kept seeing these signs and laughing all the time. Texas Gate or Cattle Guard. The little things that remind us we are in Canada. We were about an hour down the road and Lee was looking really tired. I, too, was exhausted. There was no way we were going to make it the 5 hours back to Edmonton. Hotel and Shower, Here we come!!

We had a great time swimming in the pool. We ate a good dinner. We took hot showers. And we slept in a comfy king size bed. I think Lee and I might need a king size. Nobody was fighting for space. Not even Reg.

Hotels are always great fun.

They are so much fun that little people never want to leave.

No comments: