Thursday, March 8, 2012

CATS

A couple weeks ago, we took Cora to her first traveling Broadway show. We saw Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical, CATS. Considering Cora's adoration of felines, we thought she would thoroughly enjoy this show. I'd say we were right...mostly.


 Cora and me trying to burn off a little energy before entering the theatre. You can see she was having a hard time standing still. 

 Cora and Lee. Cora posing like a maniac with her dragon. It is pretty funny seeing a little girl with a giant bow carrying around this ferocious looking dragon. She gets a lot of side glances.

 Lee trying to explain a little bit about what is going to happen before the show starts.



The Jeffers Family Trio.

Cora was as good as I expected for a three year old. As soon as she saw the cats walking down the aisles and onto the stage, she immediately became a cat herself. She laughed, really loudly, at all the wrong times. She hissed and meowed and asked questions non stop. It took every bit of energy I had to get her to sit still and be quiet. It was impossibly to be upset with her because she was thoroughly enjoying herself. Besides, it was a Sunday matinee and the show even allowed babes-in-arms. Needless to say, Cora was not the only kid I heard. :)

At intermission, Old Deuteronomy stayed on stage hissing and cleaning himself. Lee took Cora up to the front to get a better look at him. He also showed her where the orchestra played. She thought it was so neat that she sprinted back and insisted that I go up there to see. It was really neat they kept a main character on stage through the intermission for all the kids.

Act I and intermission must have been too much for Cora to handle. She fell sound asleep as soon as Act II started. It was at this time I realized I had no idea what was going on in the musical. I didn't realize the whole musical was poems by T.S. Eliot. I love T.S. Eliot, but his stuff is hard to grasp if you aren't concentrating on every single word. Thankfully, Lee has seen the play before and quickly caught me up to speed. With Cora snoring, Lee and I were able to sit back and enjoy the last 45 minutes of the show. The dancing was by far my favorite part. Overall, it was fantastic. My only recommendation is to read up on it a bit before seeing it to fully appreciate the storyline and literature the musical has to offer. 

Something tells me Cora might want to be a cat for Halloween. :)

No comments: